Monday, May 2, 2011

Ciutat Comtal - Tapas


                My first experience eating tapas was at a well known restaurant called Ciutat Comtal near Passeig de Gracia.  The restaurant came very highly recommended for tapas so I was excited to eat there.  A friend of mine and I went for lunch one day after classes.  It was very crowded when we got there and we almost didn’t stay.  It is a nice restaurant with a long wooden bar that curved around to the corner of the restaurant.  The bar was lined with an assortment of different tapas.  Behind the bar, waiters in white jackets served plates of tapas to customers who couldn’t get a table and instead stood or sat at the bar.  We finally got a table outside and ordered some Pilsner Urquells.  When the waiter came back with our beers we ordered a few different tapas.  I forget the name of my favorite one but it was French fries covered in fried eggs and ketchup.  It was mind-blowing, I had never tasted anything like it.  I basically licked the plate clean.  We also ordered tuna and red pepper sandwiches were also really good.  I also tried an avocado pasta salad that they called the California salad.  However, my favorite by far was the fried egg and French fry mixture.  Also, the experience of sharing tapas is very different from normal American customs.  I think the Spanish custom of sitting for a long lunch and sharing what you ordered with everyone at the table is much more enjoyable then eating quick meals on your way to work or in the car.  I have to admit that tapas is easily my favorite part of Spanish food culture because you get to eat a variety of delicious little meals instead of one dish of the same thing. 
Tapas

No comments:

Post a Comment