Monday, May 2, 2011

Ovella Negra

Me at Ovella Negra

With friends at Ovella Negra

Tables at Ovella Negra
One of my favorite nightlife spots in Barcelona is the Megataverna Ovella Negra.  It is an enormous and rowdy drinking hall in an old factory warehouse in the Poble Nou area. When I first walked in the atmosphere was reminiscent of a German beer hall with long tables and groups of people drinking from large containers called “toros.”  Normally, a few people sit around and share a toro at a table.  A toro is a large cylinder filled with beer with a nozzle at the bottom so that people can fill up there glass from it.  I was immediately excited when I walked in because there were a lot of Spanish people in chanting in unison and I knew that this was going to be a fun environment.  We got our first toro from the bar and struggled to find seats before finally getting a table that we could all fit at.  There were some drunken people chanting and standing on the table next to us.  One guy tried to hop of the table and slipped and crashed onto the floor in front of everyone.  Ovella Negra was unlike any other place that I had been to in Barcelona and maybe Europe in general.  In the back room they have pool tables, foosball and ping pong.  Every time that I have been there it has been very crowded, loud and rowdy – the perfect atmosphere to start a night of drinking.  Another benefit of Ovella Negra is its proximity to Razzmatazz, the biggest club in Barcelona.  Razzmatazz is another enormous place that was converted from a factory warehouse.  We normally started our night at Ovella Negra and then walked around the block to Razzmatazz when it got later in the night.  Ovella Negra and Razzmatazz are two places that I will never forget about Barcelona because they are unlike anywhere I have ever been in my life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment